Home Forums Assignments ASSIGNMENT #2: Investigation and Planning (due December 9 at 8 a.m. EST)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jasmine swedan jasmine swedan 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Adriana Noriega
    Adriana Noriega
    Participant

Reflection:
    I went on a community walk out as an activity for ASSIGNMENT #2 during this activity, I observed my community neighborhood and surrounding areas about 15 minutes walking distance from my house. I walked around my neighborhood and saw kids playing outside, ages ranging from 8 years old to about 12, teens were most likely indoors at the time. I walked to the library as well passing by a church, school, Mcdonalds, Fry’s, and Family dollar. I noticed a lot of tagging, homeless, trash, and old abandoned buildings. Lots of times I believe people like myself get so caught up in life that we forget to stop and look around. After doing so I notice things I haven’t before.

As of now, I want to do something that involves my community working together in order to better it. A couple of my ideas include:
    – Fundraise money for global poverty aid organizations (not sure how yet)
    – Organize an event for donations towards world and society issues
    – Use technology as a tool (apps) to engage youth in global and society issues

Profile photo of Grace Castillo
    Grace Castillo
    Participant

This whole week I have been doing my community walk out for assignment #2, each day I would go out and walk for about 30 minutes around. My first walk out on Monday was quite interesting because I didn’t see no one out side doing anything (maybe it was to cold that’s why) but I did see some animals. Since I didn’t see that many people outside, I decided to just do the walk out for the whole week and see if anything changes threw out those days. On Tuesday, there was a couple of families out putting up Christmas lights, which I thought was pretty neat. Wednesday I took a walk out to the park and there were families out playing basketball and other families out by the playground with their kids. On that same day I took a look at the walls and there was a lot of graffiti, even on the tables, grass and concrete. on Thursday, which is my last day doing the walk out; I walk around my school. personally, I’m not the type of person to be hanging out with anyone because I’m more to myself, but I would always realize how people treat other people in a negative or positive way. My school isn’t dirty but it isn’t that clean either. the social assets at my school are very absorbing. Cholla magnet high school is a school that will accept anyone, no matter where you come from, who you are or what age you are. Everything is set out on how much time you have and I honestly think we need to take advantage of that. We need to start helping each and everyone’s community because we no help, then there’s not going to be a change.

In order to make the change starting now for my community is:
    -Ask around my school and community if they want to help set a plan to where we want to improve on.
    -I’ll go around asking for donations in order to help not only my community but others.
    -I will ask one of my old computer teachers to help me make a website to grab young teens or even adults attention to gather with me and do something that would be better for all of us.

Profile photo of Dana Al Ali
    Dana Al Ali
    Participant

For step 2 of assignment #2, I went an a community walk about in an area in Doha called the Corniche. This area surrounds part of the Arabian Gulf that envelopes Qatar. It extends all the way to the Museum of Islamic Art which includes a park. As I was walking through this area, there were several ethnicities and age groups ranging from month old babies to the elderly. People were walking, running, exploring, biking and skating. I noticed a lot of littering and plastic around the area. Pieces of plastic and foam boards were covering the lanes where people where walking and floating in the sea. The fact that people were doing this made very sad and disappointed. I definitely don’t want to see this in 5 years. Also, I don’t want to see lots of cars around and pollution in this community. I want the community to extend it’s beauty therefore, in the few years to come, it should be a completely car free zone. If people wish to travel within the area, then they would only bike, skate and walk. There should be booths for people to inquire more about the community and its history. The landscape should be greener and bigger.

From this community walkabout I was inspired with these 3 possible project ideas:
    1. Start a study on how renewable sources could help Doha become a sustainable city. Write a proposal or an outline that includes the costs, the planning and the benefits for the city. (SDG 11: Sustainable cities and communities)

2. Investigate the effects of climate change on animals in all various habitats. Create a story or website to teach children about climate change. (SDG 13: Climate Action)

3.Research about water pollution and the effect it has on turtles in a certain area (preferably an area that sea turtles are affected the most in). Start a campaign and organize activities regarding the issue. (SDG 14: Life Below Water)

Profile photo of Reem Al Janahi
    Reem Al Janahi
    Participant

I regularly walk around the school, but this walkabout allowed to really focus on certain aspects of the school. I noticed that students weren’t going outside as much or (in the case for the primary school where they have playgrounds) they didn’t like to go outside. Also students are becoming less active during break times and instead going on their laptops or phones.

Another thing I noticed was that now many people would buy plastic water bottles and would just leave them anywhere. This brings up 2 issues: One is littering and the other is the fact that the plastic is wasted.
    The school community has many service activities that go on during the school year, however there is a lack of service activities for the environment. A few years ago there were 2 activities that were dedicated to helping the environment, and the reason for the discontinuity is unknown.:
    1. One was planting flowers and other types of plants in any outdoor area
    2. Another worked towards encouraging recycling, using the proper bins for each type of material, and collected paper and plastic from classrooms to recycles.

While on the topic of service activities, our school often has activities that fund a certain charity or project, or collect donations to help a specific audience (such as the school workers). However, I noticed that now these activities often have a hard time collecting donations so they aren’t able to expand to bigger projects like in the past, with the school contributing towards helping build and provide for a school in Sri Lanka.

I’d love to see this community become more aware on issues regarding the environment, health and poverty issues across the world. It is already are committed to action, so more encouragement should be given to help bring new projects to life and help bigger audiences. If there is an idea for a project the school is ready to help with establishing it as long as there is a full plan of why and how this activity should be established, and what type of impact will it serve to the targeted audience.

This walkabout inspired me to think of a few projects to start:
    1. The community already helps other organizations to provide for those in need, but our school could help even further by starting our own projects to raise money to build places (such as schools, mosques, wells, etc..) or help provide for what they already have, such as local businesses. This idea can take many paths depending on where the specific focus will start: it can help increase the quality of education, to help provide basic human needs and/or help communities and societies become more sustainable.

2. Help the community become more aware of the environmental issues by creating an activity that can give the students freedom in choosing whether they’d like to continue planting around the school (can even branch out to areas in the school campus), or organize contests to get the students to collect recyclable items (as a class). With these materials they can get sent to places where they can be recycled, or they can even be used in an arts and crafts club if there are students willing to join. If the student would like to create their own idea for helping the environment that can be encouraged as well. The main goal of this project is to get students to help the environment while being creative and having fun while they do so.

3. Organise mini-activities that occur during break/lunchtimes to get students to become more active, whether it is indoors or outdoors (as it usually gets very hot outside so options will have to be taken into consideration)

Profile photo of Ayah Al-Ansari
    Ayah Al-Ansari
    Participant

For assignment #2 I went on a walk around my neighborhood for about 10 mins. There were no kids out playing or anything. Everyone was in their homes. The only time I saw people was when they were in their cars going out. It’s really sad cause there are a lot of children in our neighborhood but no one was out playing. We even have a play ground yet nobody to use it. Children now a days play on their Ipads or Iphones. They don’t go out to see the beauty of nature or get fresh air. There also was so much rubbish on the ground, Which shows how little they know about the way it effects climate change and the air they breathe.

From this community walkabout I was inspired with these 3 possible project ideas:
    1- raise awareness on how important is is for parents to get their children to play outdoors to get exercise and vitamin D.
    2-Build more indoor playgrounds so that children can still play in them when it’s summer time.
    3-Raise awareness on the importance of recycling and cleaning up around the neighborhood.

Profile photo of ward beshtawi
    ward beshtawi
    Participant

For my second assignment, I decided to take a walk around the new construction site near my house. This was the first thing which came to my mind as the construction noises bothered me every evening. As I got closer to the location, the harder it became to breathe so I decided to pick up a dust protection mask from the closest market, they were quite expensive which made me wonder if they are provided for free to the workers. Anyways, I continued to walk towards the site. This is the first thing which caught my sight, I saw workers from a particular race all working continuously bearing the hot sun and its radiation, but this isn’t the interesting bit, what I found more worrying was the look they had on their faces. It said it all. One could clearly tell, that they weren’t there for the interest in job, but indeed to feed their poor families who only get to see their working man once every year (if they’re lucky enough). Secondly, even when they were working with a not so happy face, one thing that made me a bit worried was that half of them didn’t even have proper safety gear on as if they weren’t provided with one. I went to that one truck driver, he seemed a bit annoyed at first because I was interfering midway his work, but we got along and I got to find out that they weren’t actually provided with proper gear. I was right.

All of this lead me to think of three possible project that will help out the workers in the community:
    1) Go around the neighbourhood and ask for donation (also tell people about the conditions the workers were working in). This donation money could be used to buy proper safety and protection gear.

2) Ask the construction company to provide the workers shelters for the workers. As the workers find it hard to suffer from the head radiation.

3) Buy a fridge near our local compound so that the neighbors could leave some leftover food or water for the workers. This way food waste will decrease and the workers wouldn’t have to spend money over snacks.

Profile photo of Jacqueline Torres
    Jacqueline Torres
    Participant

For assignment #2 walk around, I walked around my community, which I admit isn’t the best. I saw trash everywhere, whether it be literally in my school and outdoors like at a park near my school. I couldn’t help but notice the diverse races/ families in my town. I also saw a lot of homeless people with children at the supermarket asking for money. It slipped my mind entirely about the injustice and inequality we’d(I say we because I’m hispanic) be undergoing now that Donald Trump is going to be the next U.S president in about a month.

Inspirations:
    •Have a meeting of teens and adults where we send letters to our representatives in our state to help minority’s inequalities they’ll be going through once Trump becomes president
    •Collectively recycling in schools, my sister’s school, my school, my brother’s, etc
    •Food drive

Profile photo of Omar Diab
    Omar Diab
    Participant

For my walk-out activity , I decided to know the opinions of the several cultures in my community . Also, I placed in my mind to hear from different age ranges . So , I chose my locations to be well known for certain cultures and several age ranges . Restaurants, hypermarkets , and malls was some examples . And it was very clear to me that each sample from the community represented themselves based on their general conflicts . Moreover, I requested them to find a solution for their problems and turn it to activities . And the result was :
    1-) Arranging a charitable competition . It could be a model for the Olympic games , or even talents’ contest. Each participant must pay a subscription fees . And we could donate these money to any charity .
    2-) Starting a campaign that aims to discover and empower the talents of the inmates . Instead of destroying their psychology every day, which will cause many crimes , we could observe their strength points and direct it to serve our community . Add to that , making their future bright outside the prison .
    3-) Teaching music in an orphanage or in a hospice. No one could deny that lonely elders and orphans are the most suffering human beings . As we believe that music can turn sadness to happiness , and hate to love , we should use it in a noble goal . Which is offering happiness to those who don’t have anyone to love or even making them happy .

Profile photo of Adriana Loya
    Adriana Loya
    Participant

I did the walk-out activity around my house. The first thing I noticed is that there are people begging for money at the gas station. I also saw trash on the ground and a lot of traffic that emits greenhouse gases in the air. Another problem was that there are homeless people o the side of the streets with their little huts and tents in which they face danger. There are three different projects that I came up with:
    1) Have a fundraiser event to help out those in need of money and a house
    2) Start a campaign where people can learn different ways of traveling to reduce the amount of air pollution
    3) Have variety of events to pick up trash in the neighborhood and put garbage cans to reduce the litter

Profile photo of Dana Smiley
    Dana Smiley
    Participant

I completed my walk-out activity in the area around my school rather than in my neighborhood. My high school is located in the middle of downtown Portland, and I was able to observe many things, including the wide variety of people living in my city and countless beautiful parks and trees. Unfortunately, I also saw a pretty high number of tent cities along the freeway, as well as lots of homeless people living on the streets. I also noticed how much traffic there is during rush hour downtown and how it is almost impossible to find any parking. The three projects I came up with were :

1. Research the current sanitation state of the homeless living on the streets as well as in tent cities, and raise funds to improve their hygiene quality. I’d like to look more specifically into how they are able to use the bathroom and work to provide compostable toilets to improve their own health as well as the quality and cleanliness of the areas around them.
    2. Raise awareness of the benefits of public transportation and encourage citizens to take it where they can instead of driving, and help TriMet (the public transportation company in Portland) raise funds to extend their service hours. This would help with traffic and parking issues, and is a great way to conserve energy!
    3. Teach homeless people what square foot gardening is and how they can do it own their own. This would give them a reliable food source they could manage and tend to themselves and provide them with good nutrition and vitamins that they may otherwise be missing.

Profile photo of Sarah Asiedu
    Sarah Asiedu
    Participant

Most mornings before I got to school I walk around just to observe how my community/neighborhood is doing. Although my neighborhood is nice and quiet it is still troubled by those who may not have a place to stay or those who have mental illnesses. It is really troublesome because everyone deserves a place to be safe and happy. In addition to the homeless and mentally ill, my neighborhood was not in the best shape in terms of the trash. I believe that all these signs are cumulative and problematic for those who live there. Here are a few different projects I came up with.
    -Distribute hygiene products as well as food to the homeless.
    -Gather friends and neighbors to do a community clean up
    -Gather friends and Neighbors to donate warm clothes for the homeless for the cold weather.

Profile photo of Lana Sami
    Lana Sami
    Participant

Step One: Preparation
    Read the 6-page introduction to the book, Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Path Toward Finding and Mobilizing a Community’s Assets, written by John Kretzmann and John McKnight. This reading proposes a new way to investigate communities, called Asset-Based Community Development, or ABCD. As you read, consider the following questions and record some thoughts.
    What are some of the issues the authors list with “The Traditional Path?” How does a needs-based approach ultimately end up harming a community?
    Some of the issues that come with the traditional path: Devastated communities , Sense of hopelessness that pervades discussions about the future of low income neighbourhoods, creating the perception that only experts can provide real help
    The needs-based approach strategy can guarantee only survival, and can never lead to serious change or community development
    What do the authors describe as the benefits of using Asset-Based Community Development?
    Will help highlight other assets of a community/neighbourhood such as the land, buildings, and infrastructure
    These things can also contribute to the success of the neighbourhood economically

Step Two: Activity
    Identify a community that you’re interested in working with, and map it out. It is suggested that you include your school or organization and the surrounding few blocks.
    Now, take a walk around this area. As you’re walking, observe your surroundings and take notes on the following questions:

I walked around my house and the street I live on

Where do people congregate?
    People congregate and cluster around areas that interest them, typically by sights such as the fountain that I walked by, and anywhere that is appealing to them.
    What are the most important businesses?
    The most important businesses around my house are the different hotels I saw, the different shops I saw near me, and the different restaurants
    What recreation facilities, schools, associations, congregations, and other neighborhood institutions exist?
    In my walkabout, I saw different shops, different sights such as a fountain and a bridge, I also saw different apartments and hotels around me
    What social assets exist, such as different cultures, ethnicities, and age groups?
    There are different people living near me, and I saw many different people from many different religions, cultures, races, and of very different ages. I saw a mix of different people around me and in my neighbourhood
    Are there safe, productive, and fun places for children to spend time?
    Yes, there was a playground occupied by children of the ages 5-10, there was a fountain where kids where riding their bike next to, there were shops that interest children such as build-a-bear workshops. In my walkabout, I discovered many different areas that can interest children
    What problems or issues do you find in the neighborhood?
    Some problems in my neighbourhood is the vast amount of traffic, the lack of stores for kids (except for a few), and more sights that need to be placed there.

Step Three: Reflection
    Take a moment at the end of your walk to reflect with these questions:
    Describe something you noticed during your observation walk that you hadn’t noticed in the past.
    I didn’t notice how many people sat outside of the restaurants just to admire the view and I noticed how they were looking at the fountain and the sights around them
    What would you like this neighborhood to look like in five years?
    In five years, I would like this neighborhood to have developed and to have a variety of different shops, different rides for people to enjoy, different booths from different cultures similar to a global village where people get together to appreciate different cultures
    What assets can you imagine it having, and how can you help it develop those assets?
    I imagine my neighbourhood area having more people visiting from many different cultures, and having the area as a place where people can interact and communicate with one another.

Step Four: Identify 3 possible project ideas
    1. Gender Equality
    2. Quality Education
    3. Racism Worldwide

References:
    Reprinted with permission of John P. Kretzmann and John L. McKnight, pp. 1-11, from Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Path Toward Finding and Mobilizing a Community’s Assets, Evanston, IL: Institute for Policy Research (1993).

Profile photo of Juntae Park
    Juntae Park
    Participant

I did a walk around a street close to my house. In this neighbourhood there were lots of restaurants, car shops, and other miscellaneous stores. The area basically consisted of three zones: residential area (area near my house), commercial area (the street I walked to), and Aspire Park, which is the biggest park in Doha. The people in each area varied: in the residential area and the park there were families and children, but in the commercial area there were mostly adults at least 20+, and I found very little children or teenagers. This was because the area is very unsafe due to lack of parking space, leading to overcrowded cars and very heavy traffic and underdeveloped sidewalks which meant pedestrians had to walk on the car roads a lot of the times. There were also much trash and garbage on the streets, which I do not want to see in 5 years.

The three projects I have come up with are these:
    Clean up the area in terms of garbage and promote recycling by researching, raising awareness, and implementing recycle bins.
    Repair and develop sidewalks in the area to allow for safer pedestrian access.
    Raise awareness on and develop bike roads to promote a healthier lifestyle and allow a clean, alternative means of transport.

Profile photo of Jennifer Geist
    Jennifer Geist
    Keymaster

These are great ideas! I like the way everyone is thinking LOCALLY and GLOBALLY- everything from raising donations, awareness, and also taking action based on research! Nice work! Today we will get to focus in- as a global community, and then get to work making an awesome action plan!

Profile photo of Mulki Yusuf
    Mulki Yusuf
    Participant

I walked home from school on Thursday for my walk-out assignment. Before that, I noticed at lunch that a lot of students weren’t composting and recycling like they were supposed to. My high school is trying to improve that by getting new bins which will make it easier for students to sort out their food. As for my walk, I saw a couple of things: 1. I saw homeless people with only blankets in the cold Minnesota weather. 2. I saw trash along the road and even broken glass bottles, this is harmful to pedestrians. 3. I saw cars going way above the speed limit (especially in a school area) which is extremely dangerous for kids walking or biking home.
    Here are 3 ideas/projects I’ve come up with:
    1. Organize drives for the homeless AND educate them on how to stay warm this winter.
    2. Inform people the importance of recycling and the dangers pollution has on our environment.
    3. Promoting healthy and clean lifestyles at schools and neighborhoods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Assignments’ is closed to new topics and replies.