Home Forums Assignments Progress Report #1 (Due January 25)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yasmeen Elkhatib Yasmeen Elkhatib 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Adriana Noriega
    Adriana Noriega
    Participant

Tell us WHAT your project is:
    1. Please state the name of your project (make it good! if you don’t have one yet, create one!)
    Quality Education: Youth Engagement
    2. Please name all of the students in your group, and where they live in parenthesis. Ex: Jennifer Geist (Seattle, USA)
    Lana Sami {Doha, Qatar}
    Aya Mohammad {Doha, Qatar}
    Lina Draida {Doha, Qatar}
    Sarah Asiedu {California, USA}
    Adriana Noriega {Arizona, USA}
    3. Please name the Sustainable Development Goal(s) that your project addresses. Ex: Goal #4 Quality Education, Goal #5 Gender Equality.
    Goal #4 – Quality Education
    4. In 2-3 sentences, tell us what your group will do to address this goal. (You can say things like “We will raise awareness at our school and…”)
    We are raising awareness in three different cities in order to obtain the results that we have been seeking since stage 1, which is to get more people aware of our project. We have begun to do this by creating a website and getting organizations to recommend our website to others. We are encouraging the youth in our community to get involved as well by creating clubs, posting our website on social media, and conducting surveys.
    Tell us WHY and HOW you are doing your project:
    In this project, each person is responsible for raising awareness in their hometown by various actions. At the end of the project, we will create a film that shows everything we accomplished throughout our project. We are going to raise awareness by publishing our website and ensuring that people visit the website and read through its different tabs. We chose this project because the topic appeals to everyone in our group, and we appreciate that this topic is widespread and is a big issue in the current world in different countries and continents.
    Please go to the Sustainable Development Goals page, click on the icon for your goal(s) and read thoroughly. Use the information on this page(s) and from your other research to answer these questions:
    5. In 2-3 sentences, tell us why it matters and why YOUR group cares. (Hint: Each of these pages has a link to a PDF called: Why it matters!)
    This Sustainable Development goal matters to us because it discusses a worldwide issue, this problem isn’t just based in just one place, which causes more people to engage in helping to find a solution for the issue. We want to ensure that people understand the term ‘Quality Education’ and that they don’t just assume that Quality Education means that someone attends any school. Quality education ensures that every person around the world, no matter their age, gender, educational level, location, or wealth level, gets quality- education, because quality education is a right, not a privilege.
    6. In 2-3 sentences, tell us which of the Goal Targets you believe your project most closely addresses. (Hint: The middle tab is called Goal Targets!)
    “By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development”
    Our project most closely addresses this goal target, our goal for our project is to bring awareness to our community about quality education as well as the other sustainability goals. We want to get the youth engaged in order to promote future sustainability so that’s why we created the website and are surveying and interviewing students to get them inspired to help better education in other countries. We are going to donate school supplies to schools in third-world countries in order to provide better resources for the students, this will allow them to learn knowledge and skills that they will need when they are older.
    7. In 3 sentences, tell us: what Action Steps you have taken so far, what your next TWO Action Steps will be, and what has been your GREATEST SUCCESS so far!
    So far we have taken various Action Steps, we have raised awareness in our communities and schools by creating our own website (www.worldeducate.weebly.com ) and conducting surveys, we have begun to organize fundraisers, we have gotten in contact with education-based organizations in both Qatar and in Arizona, the organization is Arizona called ‘CONAHEC’ was even willing to post about our website on their social media pages. This has been our greatest success so far because a well-known organization posted about our website, and this means that more people will read our website and understand what Quality Education truly means. Our next two steps will be to begin the fundraisers and to donate school supplies to developing schools, Sarah who lives in California will be fundraising in her school hoping to collect and send school supplies to the organization “Develop Africa,” Adriana who lives in Arizona will be fundraising in order to raise money to buy school supplies and create school kits, sending them to LWR to schools in third-world countries.
    8. In 2 sentences, tell us what has been the hardest part of the project for your group, and how you are going to get through it.
    The hardest part of the project for our group is trying to complete actions, due to the fact that we live in different continents, have different time zones, have different schedules and vacation timings, so there has been a lack of communication. It’s been difficult to try to think of actions that appeal to everyone in our group, which is why we ended up doing numerous actions so that each person can perform an action in their country that still results in spreading awareness for quality education.

Profile photo of Gwendolyn Nelson
    Gwendolyn Nelson
    Participant

1. My project is Team Flying Flowers
    2.The members of my group is just me(Minnesota,USA)
    3.My project fits under Goal #5 Gender Equality but it also falls under #3 good health and well being and #4 quality education.
    4. I am going to put on this sports fair at a local community center. I will have local organizations and local Minnesota athletes come and talk to the girls about gender inequality in sports.
    5.It matters because in the media the women’s teams might do well and they only show the men’s teams news. It matter because sports can teach you a lot like how to collaborate with teams and discipline, it keep you healthier and it also matter because women have less of a chance to continue in high school and that stat is about 1.3 million less opportunities than men.
    6.The goal targets this falls under are End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere and Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision making in political, economic and public life.This project fall under these 2 because Women athletes do get paid significantly less the Men athletes and it helps decrease the discrimination in sports and makes more equal.
    7. Action step I have taken so far is contacting women athletes and if they gave thing a I can go to then I do research and then I am going to do the sports fair in Early March and I am going to see if I can volunteer at a local organization in Minneapolis/St.Paul that helps with this issue.
    8. The Hardest part will probably have to be finding organizations near me because I found one and then it took a while to find more about them. I got through that by rephrasing the sentence I wrote in google.

Profile photo of Dana Smiley
    Dana Smiley
    Participant

1. My project is called TP for All!
    2. I am the only member of my group, and I live in Portland, Oregon
    3. My project addresses Goal #3, Good Health and Well Being, as well as Goal #6, Clean Water and Sanitation.
    4. I am working to raise awareness for the sanitation issues faced by the homeless and do what I can to improve their conditions. I have interviewed many homeless people living in tents on the streets and under bridges and gotten audio recordings of what they want to be better about their hygiene and sanitation. I have identified a long-term project, but as this will take an extremely long time to complete and considerable funds, I plan to focus on providing toilet paper and some feminine hygiene products, something the people all said they don’t have access to but need, each day. I am working with a writer at the homeless newspaper, Street Roots, to find a pre-existing organization that I can collaborate with in the distribution of the toilet paper I plan to obtain. I hope to form my own organization that will continue this work after my project is finished.
    5. Access to clean water and good sanitation is a basic human right! I feel that I sometimes take for granted the everyday luxuries that I have access to. While I may not be able to provide the people I’d like to help with all of the supplies they need, I am trying to find something that can make the situation they are in a bit more bearable. Many people who are currently homeless are just in a transition period, and giving them something to help them get cleaner and have a bit more dignity is something I definitely want to do.
    6. My project closely addresses the second goal target of “achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all and end open defecation, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations.” My project is giving access to toilet paper and some feminine hygiene products to those who don’t currently have it. This is driving progress towards achieving adequate and equitable sanitation for all.
    7. The action steps I have taken so far include looking for related organizations, contacting Street Roots, and surveying the homeless. By far the greatest success I’ve had so far are the answers I received from the homeless. Their feedback, opinions, and ideas have really shaped my project. They said some very powerful and important things regarding their lives and sanitation that have really made me care about doing what I can to help them! Future action steps I plan on taking are purchasing the materials I need, collaborating with an organization to help with distribution, and creating my own organization to continue the work.
    8. The hardest part of my project has been my fundraising setback. I was set to fundraise and raise awareness for this issue in my school, but when a last minute issue popped up, I ended up not being able to raise anything (money or awareness). I am still looking for ways to raise the funds I need to implement my project, but am not having much luck, and may end up having to create support for the project and then ask for personal donations or contributions from friends and family. I will have to hope that raising awareness will also raise funds!

Profile photo of Adriana Loya
    Adriana Loya
    Participant

1) HOPE
    2) It’s just me. (Los Angeles, CA)
    3) No Poverty
    4) To raise money by having fundraisers at school. I’m planning to have a raffle and the prize is going to be a $50 gift card.
    5) It matters because there are many homeless living in the streets of Los Angeles. I want them to know that there are actually people who care.
    6)”…eradicate extreme poverty for all people everywhere, currently measured as people living on less than $1.25 a day.” Using the kits can help them save more money because they don’t have to spend the money to buy the items.
    7) I emailed a homeless shelter called PATH so we can donate the kits to them. They replied with more information about what we can put in the kits. Also, I just turned in a club application to start a club at school. My next step is to sell the raffle tickets. Also, is to buy the items and put them in kits. The next step after that is to donate it to PATH.
    8) The hardest part is to talk to people. My friend comes with me to talk to people so I won’t get really nervous.

Profile photo of Jennifer Geist
    Jennifer Geist
    Keymaster

Thanks to all of you for posting your thoughtful replies here. As you read through each other’s progress reports, do you get any new ideas for your own projects? Do you have advice or ideas for each other? I am so looking forward to connecting with you next week about your progress. Congratulations to each one of you. Oh, and… great job naming your projects! Very clever!

Profile photo of Reem Al Janahi
    Reem Al Janahi
    Participant

1. “Saving The Planet, One Step At A Time”
    2. Grace Castillo (Arizona, USA) and Reem Al Janahi (Doha, Qatar)
    3. Goal #12: Sustainable Consumption and Production
    4. We will first start by raising awareness in order for our communities to understand the issue in the form of either individual or group meetings, where we will talk about what are issue is, why it matters and how it affects the world around us. After that, we will announce a poster competition, where the students will get the opportunity to design a poster that suggest a solution/alternative to help reduce the waste of food, paper and/or plastic. They will be shown at a showcase where most of the school will be attending and a live vote will take place by a panel of judges, and whoever wins 1st and 2nd place will have their posters hung up around the school. In order to see if this has any effect, the garbage from the cafeteria+recycling bins will be weighed in the beginning of February, and will be measured at the end of the year as well to see if there is any difference.
    5. The resources we use shouldn’t be taken for granted as many people aren’t able to access them and at the same time these resources can have negative effects if wasted/not used properly. When looking at paper and plastic, it easily can be wasted and overproduced, which has a bad impact on the environment. As for food, 1.3 billion tonnes is wasted, either by being thrown out or being spoilt in shipping. As the population increases over the next few decades, these resources will need to increase production to meet its needs. The current amount of resources is already stressing what production can handle and what effects the environment can take. In order to properly produce what the world needs and make sure that resources are used properly, we must all contribute to help make this world better by reducing waste and being thoughtful about what we buy/use (opting for sustainable options) and how we can make it sustainable if it isn’t already. We chose to work on this issue in our school environment as we can see it is a very relevant issue that everyone can agree we need to improve, and hope that it carries out in their daily lives which will then have a great impact to other communities they are apart of.
    6. “By 2030, halve per capita global food waste at the retail and consumer levels and reduce food losses along production and supply chains, including post-harvest losses” as it works towards reducing food waste, “By 2030, substantially reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse” as it just focuses on sustainable production and use of resources in order to reduce waste, and “Promote public procurement practices that are sustainable, in accordance with national policies and priorities” as we aim to help the public reduce waste and use products efficiently by providing them with our own solutions as well as listening to other recommendations by other members of the public (poster competition!).
    7. So far we have been able to talk to individuals to get an idea of the views of the community, which is also our biggest success at it is helping with our next steps for action, which is conducting the group meetings and the poster competition. Since we know how aware the community is and some of their opinions, we will be able to efficiently communicate the issue to them in a way that they will understand why the issue is important. It will also help us explain to the community how the poster competition will happen, and provide some knowledge to them in order to create proper posters with the right message.
    8. The hardest part of taking action is predicting the outcome of the meetings and poster competition, as we really want for people to take part in solving this issue, but we will keep on pushing and making sure that we reach our aim of the project.

Profile photo of Juntae Park
    Juntae Park
    Participant

1. Plastic Turtles

2. Juntae Park (Doha), Dana Al Ali (Doha), Ayah Al-Ansari (Doha)

3. Goal 14: Life Below Water, Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities

4. We will raise awareness on sea turtles being damaged by water pollution, particularly plastic. We’ll do this by doing a presentation in a school, and also by creating a model of a sea turtle using recycled materials. Also, we’ll create posters and put them around our schools to promote recycling. Because the increasing number of water pollution is having a critical effect to the lives of sea turtles. Sea turtles also come to Qatar frequently, in mating seasons, and so our problem is also local.

5. The ocean is one of the most important factors to human survival. People have used the ocean for its resources and thrived off of its benefits for as long since ancient history. Turtles, while not directly essential to this matter, is part of the ocean and is most realistic for this project, which is why we’ve chosen it.

6. ‘By 2025, prevent and significantly reduce marine pollution of all kinds, in particular from land-based activities, including marine debris and nutrient pollution’. This is because our project is trying to reduce pollution going into the ocean, which directly links to this goal.

7. Hung up the posters, turtle is in construction, contacted the centre for the schools we’ll present to, created proposal for the events and is currently looking for sponsors and people to come to it.

8. The hardest part of our project is definitely how we’ll be able to accomplish this in the time frame given, considering our academic and private works as well in our lives. We will keep in contact daily in a Whatsapp group, and try to coordinate and organise ourselves very effectively.

Profile photo of Yasmeen Elkhatib
    Yasmeen Elkhatib
    Participant

Tell us WHAT your project is:
    1. Please state the name of your project (make it good! if you don’t have one yet, create one!)
    “A warm Heart”
    2. Please name all of the students in your group, and where they live in parenthesis. Ex: Jennifer Geist (Seattle, USA)
    Just me (Edmonton, Alberta)
    3. Please name the Sustainable Development Goal(s) that your project addresses. Ex: Goal #4 Quality Education, Goal #5 Gender Equality.
    Goal#1 NO POVERTY
    4. In 2-3 sentences, tell us what your group will do to address this goal. (You can say things like “We will raise awareness at our school and…”)
    I will raise enough money to be able to purchase hand warmers for the homeless. I will also be contacting a small organization in my community to help distribute them.

5. In 2-3 sentences, tell us why it matters and why YOUR group cares. (Hint: Each of these pages has a link to a PDF called: Why it matters!)
    It doesn’t matter what city or town you visit in this country, at some point you have seen a homeless person. In most major cities, the downtown area has many homeless people walking around, and sometimes asking for money. This is a major issue that many of us see on daily basis. This is exactly why I want to create a change.
    6. In 2-3 sentences, tell us which of the Goal Targets you believe your project most closely addresses. (Hint: The middle tab is called Goal Targets!)
    “By 2030, build the resilience of the poor and those in vulnerable situations and reduce their exposure and vulnerability to climate-related extreme events and other economic, social and environmental shocks and disasters.” This is the goal target that I believe best describes my project. By 2030, many will not have as much exposure to the extreme climate changes.
    7. In 3 sentences, tell us: what Action Steps you have taken so far, what your next TWO Action Steps will be, and what has been your GREATEST SUCCESS so far!
    I have spoken with Jennifer and she has helped me to build a solid foundation for my sustainable project. I will now they and connect with my local mosque youth club and try to raise money for my project. My greatest success is to be able to communicate with people in my community and try to reach out for a hand.
    8. In 2 sentences, tell us what has been the hardest part of the project for your group, and how you are going to get through it.
    The hardest part for me would be able to complete all my tasks given to me in such a small time frame. Also, fitting in my academic tasks along with the rest of my duties.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Assignments’ is closed to new topics and replies.