Home Forums Assignments Progress Report #2 (Due February 15)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dana Smiley Dana Smiley 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dana Al Ali
    Dana Al Ali
    Participant

1. Plastic Turtles

2. Juntae Park (Doha, Qatar)
    Ayah Al Ansari (Doha, Qatar)

3. Goal #11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
    Goal #14: Life Below Water

Tell us HOW your project is evolving:
    4. Initially, we had planned to have a big event that would receive a lot of publicity. Instead, to make sure there’s a better impact we decided we would go to schools to present and have events there.

5. So far, our greatest success has been completing the presentations and most of our activities for the school events we are going to have. We have taken many action steps, one of which was hang posters around school and finish creating the model turtle.

6.The next two action steps we will be taking are:
    – Present at the schools and have the events for the students
    – Practice for the showcase on Feb 26.

7. As a group, we have learnt that because of the country’s aim for conserving the ocean. People are very passionate about helping and raising awareness on these issues which really helps move the project forward.

8. Our showcase presentation would be 10-15 minutes long, it will include why we chose to work on this project, the success and the challenges we faced as a group. We will make sure that each group member gets their own part and say in the showcase. In addition to that, it will express what we learnt, how we contributed to the community and the connections our project has to the Sustainable Development Goals. Lastly, it will include how our viewpoints have changed and the process since the beginning of the project.

Profile photo of Adriana Noriega
    Adriana Noriega
    Participant

1. Please state the name of your project (make it good! if you don’t have one yet, create one!)
    Quality Education: Youth Engagement

2. Please names all of the students in your group, and where they live in parenthesis. Ex: Jennifer Geist (Seattle, USA)
    Lana Sami {Doha, Qatar}
    Aya Mohammad {Doha, Qatar}
    Lina Draida {Doha, Qatar}
    Sarah Asiedu {California, USA}
    Adriana Noriega {Arizona, USA}
    3. Please name the Sustainable Development Goal(s) that your project addresses. Ex: Goal #4 Quality Education.
    Goal #4 Quality Education

4. In 2-3 sentences, tell us if your project has CHANGED in any way since your original plan and if so, why. (Ex: Originally we intended to give away needed items, but we decided that in order for it to be sustainable, we would instead…)
    Originally we had planned to do 3 separate fundraisers to raise money for school supplies for people in need in our community and around the world, now instead of doing a fundraiser the member in LA, Sarah, got a recommendation that it would be best if she did a school supplies drive instead. Coincidentally, the member in Arizona, Adriana is doing a school supplies drive as well, instead of doing 3 separate fundraisers we are doing 3 separate school supplies drives! Also the member in Qatar, Lana started a petition to raise awareness to get quality education in Ghana, the petition currently has around 65 signatures, and we’re sharing it with our friends to get to our goal of 100 signatures.

5. In 2-3 sentences, tell us what Action Steps you have taken so far and what has been your GREATEST SUCCESS so far!
    Since the project is all about raising awareness on Quality Education, specifically targeting the youth, several actions steps have been taken towards that goal. For example the member in Arizona was able to get several students (youth) from her community to be apart of a club that’s all about getting the word our there about quality education and people in need, the club was able to have a bake sale fundraiser in Arizona making over $230 to buy school supplies for Syrian Refugees in Tucson, AZ! The members in Qatar both Lina and Lana are working so hard to spread that awareness amongst their friends and classmates and have designed brochures (which will be distributed in Arizona and California as well) to help raise awareness and even started a recent petition on the education issues in Ghana and have gotten over 65 signatures so far!

After
    6. In 2-3 sentences, tell us what your next TWO Action Steps will be (this week is a big ACTION week).
    We are going to spread more awareness on quality education throughout the week (get 100 youth to sign the petition, 300 youth to view our website, and hand out the brochures to the youth in our communities.) We will also begin a school supplies donation drive both in Arizona, Qatar, and California.

7. In 2 sentences, tell us what you have learned about the community you are serving after taking action to address their needs.
    We really realized how “easy” it is to get people involved in helping solve the issues (in this case directed towards quality education) by simply bringing awareness to our communities and schools, we learned how to address the issues. People in our community are more than willing to be involved, by donating and supporting quality education in our community and around the world.

Profile photo of Reem Al Janahi
    Reem Al Janahi
    Participant

1. “Saving The Planet, One Step At A Time”
    2. Grace Castillo (Arizona, USA) and Reem Al Janahi (Doha, Qatar)
    3. Goal #12: Sustainable Consumption and Production
    4. Our project has changed greatly from our original plan. The aim of keeping a cleaner and more sustainable environment is still the same though. Our original project had only awareness meetings as a short term goal, but now it’s evolved into creating a poster competition as well, as this will ensure that the community understands the issue and are collectively working together to solve it. Also, our long term goal wasn’t even set previously, but now we have a unique and measurable goal: Since we are working on reducing food and plastic waste in the cafeteria, the garbage will be measured in February, and then a goal will be set for the end of the year to cut the waste by 25%-50%. This will prove if our project is truly taking effect or not.
    5. Currently we have been getting permission to host the competition as we will need to see how many participants will be joining, and the great success is that almost half of the teachers we’ve asked have actually agreed to hosting the competition!
    6. Well, we have to prepare the short mini meetings to make it engaging and to encourage the community to help solve the identified issue, and the actual live voting event will need to be fully confirmed and should happen at the end of the month.
    7. We’ve realised that with big communities more unseen/unidentified issues can arise. However, if someone took the effort to research further and address the issue the community is ready to help out, meaning that we will be able to tackle issues much more efficiently.
    8. As a rough draft, we do expect our presentation to be around 10-15minutes long. Since we live in very different communities, we will each have about a minute to address how we have identified the issues in our OWN individual communities. After that, 2-3 minutes will be to talk about our original project plan and how it went. The next 2 minutes will be to talk about how our project evolved (what is in Progress Report #2). Then, for 2 minutes the action steps that we have taken and will take will be addressed. Finally, the last 2-3 minutes will be to talk about what we have learned from this experience. The parts for who will be saying what are still being decided. We plan to include some images of the posters that have been finished in time for the showcase (as the competition deadline will unfortunately pass the showcase date). Maybe a video of some of the meetings and how they went.

Profile photo of Gwendolyn Nelson
    Gwendolyn Nelson
    Participant

1. My project is name is Team Flying flowers
    2.Just me(Minnesota USA)
    3.The SDG my project is based on is Gender Equality
    4.My project hasn’t really changed from the original plan.
    5.My project I found this organization in the city i live in. I found this because my Dad was on a panel for this thing and one of the co-founders of a company that makes sports hijabs for muslim girls playing a sport. He donated to the Kickstarter and I was reading the thing they put at the bottom. The other co-founder started a nonprofit that had just girls come and play sports. I went to there website and I contacted her told her about my project and now I am volunteering there on Wednesdays.
    6.I learned that there was a company making sports hijabs in Minneapolis where I live. I also learned that there is a nonprofit pretty much in my backyard that i can go and volunteer at that is what my project is focusing on.
    7. The action steps that i am taking this week are making a photo release form so I can take pictures to show at the Showcase. I am also volunteering at non profit.

Profile photo of Jennifer Geist
    Jennifer Geist
    Keymaster

GREAT JOB on your progress reports everyone!!! I really look forward to connecting with each one of you in the next week. You are all proving to be very resourceful, and I love to see all that you are learning about community, service learning and teamwork. Thanks for sharing your triumphs and challenges, hopes and dreams. I have been listening to a podcast before I go to sleep at night; it’s called Kind World I think of all of you when I listen to it- each one of you out there doing your part to make the world a better place. Bravo! And thank you!

Profile photo of Adriana Loya
    Adriana Loya
    Participant

1. Hope
    2. Just me
    3. #1 No Poverty
    4. Originally I was planning to do a fundraiser event with activities, but it would take more time to plan. Instead, I am doing a raffle. Also, I was planning to make a club next year, but surprisingly my school was accepting club applications. I now have a club at my school. I might also reduce the amount of money that I originally planned because I’m not sure if we will pass the goal.
    5. Action steps are that I developed a school club. Right now we are selling raffle tickets and I gave raffle tickets to my family members so they can sell at work. My greatest success is that people have joined my club so they can help spread the word.
    6. Two Action steps are collecting the money and the raffle tickets sold and drawing out the winner for the raffle. Also buy the items to donate.
    7. My community has been trying to reduce homelessness and they have been passing laws to do so. Many people want to help the people who are living in the streets.
    8. My showcase would be around 10 minutes. It would include what I have learned about service learning and how I use the new information in my project. It would also include the discoveries about the homeless living in Los Angeles and their needs. Also, it would have the challenges I faced while trying to raise the money and what was my greatest success. Another thing would be that my project would keep continuing because of the club that I developed.

Profile photo of Yasmeen Elkhatib
    Yasmeen Elkhatib
    Participant

Briefly identify your project and your group:
    1. Please state the name of your project (make it good! if you don’t have one yet, create one!)11
    The name for my project is “A warm heart”
    2. Please names all of the students in your group, and where they live in parenthesis. Ex: Jennifer Geist (Seattle, USA)
    Just me (Edmonton,Alberta)
    3. Please name the Sustainable Development Goal(s) that your project addresses. Ex: Goal #4 Quality Education.
    Homelessness
    4. In 2-3 sentences, tell us if your project has CHANGED in any way since your original plan and if so, why. (Ex: Originally we intended to give away needed items, but we decided that in order for it to be sustainable, we would instead…)
    In my original plan, I was deciding to create a raffle for a sustainable project with a partner. With the help of the YALLAH coordinator, my project has evolved into something much greater. Now, I am planning to help the homeless in the cold environment they live in. I will do this by using hand and/or feet warmers.
    5. In 2-3 sentences, tell us what Action Steps you have taken so far and what has been your GREATEST SUCCESS so far!
    For my action steps, I am connecting a youth club at the mosque to help and try to find ways to donate to my project. We are trying to help in many ways like bake sales… My greatest success was creating a solid foundation and helping one step at a time.

6. In 2-3 sentences, tell us what your next TWO Action Steps will be (this week is a big ACTION week).
    My next two action steps is to begin to order the hand/feet warmers and contact a homeless newspaper organization in my community.
    7. In 2 sentences, tell us what you have learned about the community you are serving after taking action to address their needs.
    In my community, I have learned the homelessness is a huge issue that needs to be addressed. I am very happy to be able to make a change.

Profile photo of Dana Smiley
    Dana Smiley
    Participant

* I am so sorry this is late!! I somehow missed this assignment.

1. My project is called TP For All!

2.Dana Smiley (Portland, Oregon)

3. My project addresses Goal #3, Good Health and Wellbeing, as well as Goal #6, Clean Water and Sanitation

4. I had originally planned to work with an organization or the city of Portland to install compostable toilets in areas where there are large groups of homeless people and what I thought would be a great need for them. After talking with these people, I quickly learned that they really needed access to safe showers and toilet paper. I am now working to change my project so that rather than installing toilets at various places throughout the city, I am creating a group that will be able to continuously raise funds to purchase and distribute toilet paper with the long-term goal of being able to purchase and manage a portable shower. Creating the group is what will make it sustainable.

5.My project has hit quite a few roadblocks recently, and I haven’t been able to make nearly the progress I had hoped to. I have determined specifically the sanitation products I am focusing on, gotten the impact of the people I am trying to help, and am still in contact with a writer at Street Roots. My greatest success has been realizing exactly what I want to do, now I just have to do it!

6. This week, I am hoping to form a club at my school, create a website, find a way to spread awareness, and create a way for people to donate money and supplies to my cause.

7. Throughout this project, I have learned that in order to find out what people need most, you need to actually talk to them and get their feedback and opinions. I have also learned the importance of being flexible, and working around the challenges and issues that come up.

8.My showcase will likely be 10-15 minutes. I will talk about the need I identified in Portland, how I talked to the people I wanted to help and used their feedback to design a project that will hopefully positively impact them for a long time. I will discuss the challenges I faced, how I was forced to modify my project and everything that I have learned about service and helping others in general.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Assignments’ is closed to new topics and replies.